How diverse is your existing PLN?

Building PLN can be considered as the dynamic structure in one’s life. It can be the forms of presentation for our daily lives and aspects of human beings emotions. My existing PLN is relatively diverse online and in real lives. It consists of individuals from different age groups, nationalities, religious backgrounds, and political preferences. I will often use Instagram and Wechat on the regular basis to learn and learn new information. And off the internet, I would make friends and talk with them face to face, even join the party and relax in the friend circle.

In your PLN, are you learning from a variety of voices or are you the loudest in the room?

I am confident that I am learning from a variety of voices because I am an active listener. I am always open to inviting others to open up and share their stories using an attitude of respectful interest and curiosity. Showing equal involvement and interest creates a conducive learning environment because there is equivalent conversational satisfaction (Weger et al. 25)

Do you participate in a silo of information sharing (similar themes or wide-range of interests)?

There is a consensus within our PLN that multiple voices, perspectives, and personalities bouncing off each other give rise to out-of-the-box of thinking. Given our diverse backgrounds, information-sharing within the group reflects a wide range of interests.

How can you use a diverse PLN to broaden your views of inclusion?

One way I can use a diverse PLN to broaden my views is by being culturally empathetic. As Levina explains, cultural empathy involves appreciating and considering the similarities and differences between individuals of different backgrounds. Indeed, to broaden my views of inclusion, substitute my subjective opinions, and  by making different types of friends that share different personalities and concentrate on other individual’s opinions on one topic, this could bring the more comprehensive ideas and opinions to one’s own knowledge and questions on themselves.

In your professional setting of choice, do you think inclusion is actively embraced?

I do not think inclusion is actively embraced in education. To date, the teaching profession is not representative of the diverse populations in the country. For instance, there are considerably fewer teachers of colour. This statistic is concerning because research shows that students have better educational outcomes when they have diverse teachers.

What is the learning outcome of your PLN and how are you ensuring your exposure to diversity and inclusion?

The primary learning outcome of my PLN is to tap into the power of diversity to generate productive collaboration. I am ensuring exposure to diversity and inclusion by recognizing the value that different perspectives bring to the group and actively participating in discussions involving members from diverse backgrounds.

How has your thinking about inclusion and PLN evolved after reviewing the videos and readings?

I now understand that it is important to actively and continuously pursue the skills, knowledge, and personal growth required to develop meaningful connections with people from diverse backgrounds. Part of it involves considering how one’s personal beliefs and unconscious bias may influence their communication style.

Weger Jr, Harry, et al. “The Relative Effectiveness of Active Listening in Initial Interactions.” International Journal of Listening, vol. 28, no.1, 2014, pp. 13-31.

Lvina, Elena. “The Role of Cross-Cultural Communication Competence: Effective Transformational Leadership Across Cultures.” Jurnal Ilmiah Peuradeun – International Multidisciplinary Journal, vol. 3, no. 1, 2015, pp. 1-18.